Saturday, July 28, 2007

All roads lead to Nationals

I just got back from three days of cheer camp and for the first time in my entire life... I didn't hate it. Actually, I loved it. Aside from getting up every morning at 6, I had a great time. I roomed with a freshman girl on our squad named Jaye, she is ridiculous. It was really funny being in a room with her for 3 days. She definitely offered to take a shower with me every night. (Part of my wonders if it was really a joke). I can't blame her though. But alas, it never happened. Sorry for all of you out there who got excited about the idea. Anyway, our squad won every award at camp. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal to all of you non-cheerleaders, but it is! It was amazing! The entire squad was on a high for the rest of the day. Nothing brings a squad closer together like squashing the competition. haha. (yes, I am slightly competitive... and kinda evil). The most important thing that happened at camp??? I learned how to do a full basket!!!! I am so freakin excited! Let me fill you in if you don't know what this is... or my background with this particular trick. A basket is when 3-4 guys throw me as high as they can in the air, I do some kind of trick while I am up there, and then they catch me at the bottom (most of the time). I tried to learn how to do a full basket my freshman year and apparently was taught wrong. The guy that taught me made it impossible for me to help catch myself, so I was dropped from 25 feet up to my neck (twice). After that experience I never thought I would attempt a full basket again. I mean, this is how people kill themselves, or paralyze themselves. Baskets are the leading cause of intense injury/death in cheer leading. But anyway, I went to camp and found an instructor there by the name of Steve who really knew his stuff. I was terrified to try in again, but I knew I really had no choice. It only took about 3 tries with Steve's coaching to get it perfect. It was so much easier when he taught it to me. And the best part about it all is that I am the only person on the squad right now who can do a full basket. What does that mean??? That means that I have (most likely) secured my place on the national competition team for the third year in a row! Go me! I can't wait to do baskets again. I have bruises all over the place from them, but hey, that just makes me look like a badass!

1 comment:

The Rover said...

You'd be proud of me. I let my buddies chuck me up into the air over a pool. I struck the "arms out, one leg pulled up" pose that you professionals do.

Then I landed on my ass in the water. No bruises, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Oh, by the way, you're right about the showering thing. In my mind, you accepted the invite from roomie every night. Don't confuse me with facts, please.